Saturday, January 20, 2007

Mexicoooooooooooo

So, i've been a bit slow on updating on my trip to Mexico. All I have to say is that I love that country. Those who haven't had the chance to explore what it has to offer need to do so (and i'm talking much further southeast than Tijuana). Anywho, Fern and I had a great time traveling like we knew what we were doing. Most people thought we were natives, although he pretty much is, just hasn't lived there in 17 years. One worker at a hostel we stayed at thought I was Mayan. Pretty awesome considering he himself was indigenous. He must have not heard me speak. Also, within the first half hour of getting to a small town called San Miguel de Allende, an ambulance stopped at the corner to ask me how to get to the hospital! Little did that guy know I am from a land far far away and he should not listen to my advice.

Mostly everyone we came across with for more than a few minutes had to ask us where we were from and were baffled when we said California or los Estados Unidos. Even a tour booth girl gyp'ed us on a map because she thought we were lying about not knowing our way around Mexico City. I love traveling like that. Not to put down my whiteness by any means, but sometimes it's great traveling as if you were a native, even if you haven't got a clue where you are or where you're going.

We saw some amazing ruins. The three spots we picked out: Tulum, Chichen Itza and Palenque, couldn't have been better. These places were awe-inspiring. It felt great just to be in the presence of such history.

Well, if you want to see more of my trip, check out my pictures.

No comments: